RSS

Tuesday, June 18, 2013

A Decision to be Made!




So as many of you know or if you don't know I have been called to serve a 18 month mission for the church of Jesus Christ of Latter day Saints. I have been called to the Ogden Utah Mission! 

My Call!

I honestly never thought I would serve a mission! When I was younger I really saw myself growing up and getting married by the time I was 20, because 20 was SO OLD! Haha (silly little me)! I had so many great examples in my life to follow though I was just stubborn and refused to think about serving! My daddy served his mission in the Suva Fiji mission and my brother served his mission in Mongolia. While growing up we constantly had sister missionaries living in our rental unit and they were always great. I still never really wanted to serve....
Look at these awesome men!

I started considering serving a mission last summer during my last EFY. The theme was pretty much all about missionary work and it made me feel great! I started thinking hey I could do this! It doesn't seem that bad. I just didn't want to wait till I was 21 to serve! I slowly forgot about missionary service because it didn't fit into my 5 year plan which consisted of Graduating from college, going to Culinary school and eventually getting married.


My legit EFY group!

That summer I went to see Paul off on his mission and seeing him all dressed up and ready to go really stuck with me. I was so proud of him and almost a little jealous that he got to go. I felt a little silly so I quickly dismissed my feelings and went about my ways. Upon returning home I moved out and started college! It was great I was having the time of my life! No one telling me what to do, having fun till the wee hours of the morning, it was awesome! I kept writing Paul and he kept telling me about all his different experiences he was having and I couldn't help but wonder if maybe someday I would be able to have some of those too? But I was having too much fun how could I ever leave this place? During the middle of my first semester the age change announcement was made and I immediately knew that I had to go! I think I cried for a good hour after that not because I was happy about the age change but because I was scared out of my MIND! I knew I had to go, there was no question in my mind that I should go; I just didn't feel adequate enough to serve. 
Hello Pauly boy :)

I started preparing to serve, knowing I wouldn't be able to leave until at least June. I was almost ready to put my papers in, in February but I got so discouraged! I decide to wait a little longer. It wasn't until April that I made my official decision. I saw my sister leave on her mission to Jamaica and I was reminded of why I wanted to serve. Within 2-3 weeks of making my decision I was able to have my papers in and my interviews done! It all was happening so fast! I opened my call on May 19th and I am leaving on June 26!  Craziness!
Caressas' Farewell

Deciding to serve was one of the hardest decisions I have ever had to make. I often felt scared or unable to go, but one thing to always remember is that "you are fearfully and wonderfully made" and for that reason you will never fail if you have the lord on your side.  I will  have to remember that the Lord will never tell me to do something if he knows I can not handle it. I am so excited to be serving the Lord and the people of Ogden Utah for the next 18 months and I can not wait to see what is in store for me in the next chapter of my life!



Till next time,
Sister Krissy Pitt ;)


0 comments:

Post a Comment